Page 1 of 5
In the late 1920's the London County Council (LCC), encouraged by the success of the 6 Lidos they had already built, offered London boroughs the chance to build their own Lidos with a large subsidy from the LCC. Hackney first investigated the idea in 1928 and after some initial disagreement over where the lido should be situated (at London Fields or Hackney Marshes) an agreement was made between the LCC and Hackney Council for its present site on 9th July 1930.
London Fields Lido c. 1939The original 165x66ft Lido was wholly different from what had gone before. It was the earliest surviving example of its style with an advanced filtration plant, a tiered water aerator (fountain), a large sunbathing area, a refreshment kiosk and a first aid room. Designed in house by the LCC (probably by Rowbotham & Smithson) along with its twin at Kennington Park, which was opened in 1931 (closed 1988). The cost of building at the time was estimated at £10,870. A bargain price even in those days. The Lido first opened in 1932 and remained open until the war. It reopened in 1951, the year of the Festival of Britain that celebrated recovery from the war, until its closure in 1988.
In 1963 the LCC was expanded by the government with their addition of the outer London boroughs, becoming the Greater London Council (GLC). At the time, it was denied that this was only a way to prevent Labour's continual control of London. The London suburbs had inexorably expanded into the surrounding countryside since the initial formation of the LCC in 1889.
|< Prev||Next >|